Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Stump Trivets

You may remember way back in October I posted about the stump tables I created out of a cedar log I hauled back from my parents cabin.  The log gave me three 19" sump tables with a 12" chunk remaining.  The remnant piece of stump sat in our front flower bed until I finally had inspiration to use up the remaining chunk. 

STUMP TRIVETS.  You know those 'hot plates' or 'coasters' you use on the table to protect it from heat stains.



How did I create these?


Using a hand saw I cut through the stump about 1.5-2" from the edge leaving me a rough trivet.


This is the saw I used.  It is for rough cutting and I picked it up from Home Depot for $16.  Make sure you use a rough cut saw as it will save you tremendous amounts of cutting time. 

The first trivet I sanded with my palm sander, however, the next day I had to run out to my parents house so the remaining trivets I quickly ran through the belt sander.

I finished them with two coats of Tree Spirit All Natural Wood & Bamboo Oil.  It is a food safe oil that penetrates, conditions, and seals unfinished surfaces. This I purchased from Crate and Barrel a few years ago to use on my wood cutting boards.  I will continue to re-apply the oil as I do my cutting boards to keep them fresh.

We use these trivets every day and love the dimension they add to our table top.



10 comments:

  1. Wow I love these. I actually have some stump slices that I should finish, because we never have enough trivets. Great idea, I'm going to Pin it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those trivets would be so handy for many things. Thanks for sharing your skill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always impressed by all your creative DIYs, girl! Seriously, if I had 1/10 your creativity (um, and also time/motivation/etc (c:) the blog world would be in for some serious rockin'! Hope 2012 is treating you well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These have such simplistic beauty! I love that you were able to come up with a great idea to use the leftover from your previous project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these! These would go great in our kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, you used a HAND saw?! You must be so buff now! I love this project. I think I'll do it next time I'm in need of an arm workout ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are really nice and simple trivets. A trivet may often contain a receptacle for a candle that can be lit to keep food warm.

      Timber merchants New South Wales

      Delete
  7. These are great! I love bringing wood inside during the winter because it just adds a warm and cozy feel...I guess it makes me think of a wood burning fire. I'm hosting a linky party, the theme is all time favorite post- would love it if you joined in!
    -Melissa
    www.SerendipityandSpice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete